When compressing files and folders on MacOS you get some mac-specific folders in the zip file. Specially when extracting this zip-files on other OS, this can be quite annoying.
An easy way to overcome this feature is to create an Automator-script for cleaning this zip-files:
- Open Automator
- Press “New Document” Button
- Choose “Service”
- Choose on the left hand: Utilities – Run Shell Script and drag the “Run Shell Script” to the work area
- Choose “files and folders” and “Finder” and paste
while read -r p; do zip -d "$p" __MACOSX/\* zip -d "$p" \*/.DS_Store done
- Save it as “Clear ZIP files”
- Now you can clean every zip-File with the context menu “services – Clear ZIP files”
- Have fun!
Sources: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10924236/mac-zip-compress-without-macosx-folder (specially the post of benedikt)